Thursday, October 10, 2013

Ready or Not, here She comes!

Sooo.. two days from now my new baby will be parked, very temporarily, outside!

Holy Crap!

I was originally planning to run about 10 miles up the road from the dealership, to a campground I'm a little familiar with.  I'm considering a seasonal site there next year, and it's close, easy, and has hookups so I could run through lots of 'firsts'... kinda semi-privately but with help close at hand if necessary! Yo Steve and Annette!  LOL  But the weather is crappy this weekend so I'm bagging that. 

I'm just going to bring her home and park her here till at least Sunday night, and move a bunch of 'stuff' that's destined for the new digs anyway into her now.  That way I won't be tripping over it while I'm getting rid of everything else, and I won't have to schlep it with my car to where she's being stored for the winter.  I at least want to get the stuff that's already been sorted and packed into her now.

I've mentioned getting rid of my stuff a few times.  When I decided to re-start this blog it was because I had always wanted to record this change in my life and the process of it all.  I thought getting rid of my stuff could be one of those agonizing things that fast forward.. can be a great laugh and learn up the road.   That's not happening.  Turns out I don't mind getting rid of my stuff at all.  Ha!  Nothing agonizing about it so far!  And I have a lot of things that I love.  But they're things... and I'm damn tired of carrying them around!  Good-bye, love ya lots!

I have to admit I do have a plan for my dearest things.  My dearest things are mementos and pictures and yes.. school projects (I admit I have a whole box of public school fired ceramics that my children made in school) and things of that nature that I just CANNOT throw out.  A weakness. 

I decided that my children, who are 25 and 29, were old enough to take ownership of this stuff.  At least the stuff that was from their childhood, yanno?  I split the shit, er... stuff up and made a box for each of them.  Surely they would want it to someday show their children.  Right? 

Well... Apparently, Not so Much. Yo.

Throw it out they told me!!!  (mostly of their old school stuff, not photos)  No matter, I was JUST as devastated!  Those lil bastahds!  How could they?  This is important stuff!  So I desperately needed a plan.  Fortunately, I'm good at plans!  :)

Mahahahahahahaa

My daughter recently moved home for a month, before moving to Brazil for a year.  Knowing full well that I was selling, tossing, donating, giving away and purging everything I own... she had the audacity to leave me with several pieces of furniture, a sleeping bag and bedding, and a huge, very heavy tote of personal things!  All at my soon to be vacated house!  Oh she thought that was hilarious...   LOL

To her credit, there are arrangements for her father to pick those things up, and store them at his home until she returns from her current adventure.  I have a very adventurous daughter!  :)  She totally rocks, BTW!  Anyway.. it's all good:  When she eventually returns from her globe trotting... there will be a tote or two more included in the 'stuff' at her dad's that will look a tad familiar when she looks inside!  Part 1 of "Plan Stuff".

My son's totes are even easier.  lololol  I'm just gonna give them to his paternal grandparents!  They'll love the conspiracy, and he'll end up with them eventually down the road... hopefully he'll enjoy the flashbacks before THROWING THEM OUT?!?!?  The finale of "Plan Stuff"!

Anyway.. with a fairly safe plan for those types of things, I'm pretty ok with getting rid of most everything else.  I've been planning this for a while.  I relocated back to this area where I grew up and raised my kids 5 yrs ago.  I knew then that this was the plan and got rid of a heaping load of crap then.  Everything I've acquired since then has been with the knowledge that it had better be damn useful or easily gotten rid of..

This is what I've done:

I had some nice antique furniture that I sold last month on Craig's List.  I had complete bedroom and dining sets that were going to be much easier to move in decent weather.  I have a three bedroom house full of furniture, so was able to sell those things now and with a little shifting of other things, no loss convenience wise.

My neighborhood had a Whole Neighborhood yard sale that I also advertised on Craig's List and put a TON of shit out, priced to sell.  Much shit gone.

I've sold quite a bit of things on eBay over the years and am selling individual items that will do best there through them.

Purple Heart is my friend.  My Best Friend.  They pick up in my neighborhood on Tuesdays, and I've become a regular on their weekly route.  I've set a personal goal of getting rid of, or at least packing up to be donated, a minimum of one full box of shit, er... stuff a week!  I average more than that.  I think they love me.

Now that I will have possession of the new Digs BEFORE I move out of the house, I'm seriously considering having an "everything in the house must go" sale in mid November to get rid of everything I'm not keeping.  Then I'll be packing up everything left afterwards for a Monster Purple Heart pickup, scrubbing the place clean and running for my life! 

I soooo can't wait till this is all done... and then I can look back, laugh and learn from it all!

Toodles,

Rae













No comments:

Post a Comment